Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Well Hello, Grapeseed Oil

For the past four months I have been using a combination of the oil cleansing method and baking soda to keep my skin glowing. I couldn't be happier. I'll admit that I'm often lazy and just rinse my face with water, or just go straight to bed, so my skin could be much better. Room for improvement. I use a mixture of 10% castor oil and 90% olive oil. Massage it into my skin for 2 minutes and then use a hot wash cloth to steam it off. When I shower I exfoliate with baking soda, and then moisturize it after the shower. I've been pretty happy with this.

I used to sell make up, and I would spend a lot of money on acne creams, and anti-aging creams (they said to start using them early on), and microdermabrasion washes. It took 5 minutes every evening to put on all the correct creams and another five minutes in the morning. Now I only need three minutes every evening, and just to rinse my face with water in the morning. And if I skip a night it's not a huge deal. Nothing much changes.

Recently I was reading up some more about the oil cleansing method, and I came across grapeseed oil. Up until then I'd never really noticed it in the store, but supposedly it is great for acne and also for anti-aging. I bought my first bottle last night, slightly nervous. I read that it is also good for cooking at high temperatures.
I'm always slightly annoyed that my "face wash" smells so strongly of olive oils. It's a bit overwhelming. Last night when I bought my grapeseed oil I came home and diluted my current mix with it, and added a bit more castor oil. And all of the sudden the smell of olive oil was drastically faded. The grapeseed oil I bought (as pictured above, photo courtesy of lovingfit.com) has hardly any smell, and only cost $6 or so. It's probably cheaper in the rest of the country. Things in Alaska tend to be more expensive. 

I couldn't wait to try it out. Everything worked just like it should. I massaged my skin for 2 minutes, steamed my face with the wash cloth, and went straight to bed. When I woke up my face wasn't greasy or gross. I almost felt okay leaving the house with no make up. And my skin is soft. Success. Now to see how this improves my skin over time... 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    Was wondering how your baking soda/OCM routine was going? I only started a week ago or so and have needed to tweak a lil here and there. I have pretty oily skin and acne...so fun :( I also use grapeseed oil and castor oil and used hemp oil for a couple days but did not like it as much as I hoped. I have also started to add dried thyme to my oil. I read the "infusion" was good for acne as well. I wanted to use baking soda too but am scared I don't want to dry myself out but I like it as a scrub. So far I have had good results with the OCM and my acne I have had is healing and looks almost decent.
    My name is Autumn and I live in Arizona....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response! As far as oils go- its really about finding the right combination for yourself. Certain oils do different things to yourself. I live in a frozen desert wasteland, so I need oils that really moisturize. But I also tend to get oily skin, so I've had to find a fine balance. I'll admit- I've fallen off of the oil route. I still love it, its just been hard to do with my current job of living remote. I do however use baking soda EVERY DAY. It doesn't dry my skin out (I'm always sure to moisturize after.) Sorry for the delayed response! (2 months...) I hope this helps though.

      Delete
  2. I love grape seed oil for removing make up on my eyes. I mix grape seed oil with baking soda for wash my face 3 times a week. I tend to skip the other days. I know I shouldn't. I love it though.

    ReplyDelete